Recapture the freedom of movement. Ankle arthritis can take some of the magic out of life. Find out about treatment options, watch patient success stories, and learn about MoveWright™, the total ankle replacement procedure that can be customized to your unique ankle anatomy to relieve pain and increase mobility—so you can return to the activities you love.
Understand your ankle pain
Ankle arthritis occurs when the protective cartilage between bones gradually wears down, causing bones to rub together. This bone-on-bone contact causes pain and makes it more difficult to move. Ankle arthritis can range from less severe to more severe. MoveWright™ Total Ankle Replacement is a treatment for severe ankle arthritis.
Symptoms of ankle arthritis
- Tenderness or pain
- Reduced ability to move, walk, or bear weight
Main causes of ankle arthritis
- Previous injuries: Either a single trauma or a series of small, repeated injuries, such as sprains and strains endured over years of exercising and activity
- Osteoarthritis (OA): Results from aging and gradual wear on the ankle over time
- Rheumatoid arthritis (RA): An autoimmune disease causing joint inflammation
Explore your treatment options
Used for less severe arthritis
- Pain medications such as aspirin and ibuprofen
- Shoe inserts such as pads and arch supports
- Ankle-foot orthosis (AFO), a plastic brace worn on the lower leg and foot
- Steroid injections into the ankle
For less severe to moderately severe arthritis
- Debridement: Procedure removes bone spurs and loose pieces of cartilage, if these are causing ankle pain
For severe arthritis
- Ankle fusion: Ankle bones are fused together. Because the joint cannot move or bend, there is less pain, but there is often an irregular gait (walking stride) Total ankle replacement: An artificial implant allows the ankle to move and bend without pain. Person regains a more normal gait (walking stride). In fact, four out of five doctors surveyed agree that patients who undergo total ankle replacement have a better quality of life after the procedure!*
Discover total ankle replacement
Total ankle replacement is for severe ankle arthritis. In ankle replacement, the physician replaces damaged cartilage with an implant that bends and flexes easily, similar to a healthy ankle. Ankle replacement relieves ankle pain and increases mobility, allowing you to get back to activities you love. And it can take half the recovery time of the traditional procedure, ankle fusion. See the comparison chart below.
MoveWright™: Procedure customized to your ankle anatomy
Only MoveWright™ Total Ankle Replacement procedures feature a personalized preoperative navigation system option. Using a CT scan of your ankle in advance of your surgery, MoveWright™ can create a plan for sizing and aligning the implant to your unique anatomy, for the most natural fit possible.
For more information, see MoveWright™